Landmark Hudson Valley Movie Theater Goes Up For Sale
A popular Hudson Valley movie theater that has been in the same family's hands for nearly a century is up for sale. The Orpheum Theater located at 156 Main Street in Saugerties has been owned and operated by the Thornton family since 1919. According to a Village Green Realty listing, the nearly 6,500 square foot building is on the market for $795,000.
Built-in 1908, the building was first used for vaudeville shows, roller skating, and basketball. When new management came in eleven years later they switched over to movies and never looked back.
In recent years the theater was converted to a triplex with theater one seating 138, theater two 145 and theater three 138. The property is being sold turn-key as a movie theater but could be converted into a performing arts space, recording studio or school.
What would you do with the Orpheum Theater in Saugerties, keep showing movies or make a change?
Listen to the Boris & Robyn Show weekday mornings from 6AM to 10AM through your WPDH mobile app. Connect with WPDH on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- This Restaurant's Tipping Policy Left Me Speechless
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie