The 2020 Shamrock Run Is March 15
Mike Ehrmann /GettyImages
Before I tell you the wheres and the whens, let me tell you a little bit about the Shamrock Run. The Shamrock Run was started in 1989 on the idea that a run should precede Kingston’s St Patrick’s Day Parade, with cheering fans lining the roadside. And what a great idea it was.
The expectations for the first annual run were about 100 to 150 runners. The end result was 297 runners. The Shamrock Run has grown annually since then and is believed to be the largest race between New York City and Albany.
The Shamrock Run was started in hopes of creating a “flat, fast and first class race”. The Shamrock Run does not time the runners. Since the race is so short, only 2 miles, folks do not get a chance to spread out that much on the course. In keeping with the theme of a simple fun run, the committee provides a clock for runners, but insist that they check their own time, if they choose to, when they cross the finish.
This year's Shamrock Run will be on Sunday, March 15, at 12:50PM starting at Academy Green in Kingston and finishing at the foot of Broadway. The run will benefit Raising Your Awareness About Narcotics. For more information about this year's Shamrock Run, visit the event facebook page.
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie