Study Says Lower Hudson Valley City is One of the Safest in the Nation. Wait, WHAT?
A study put together by the personal finance website WalletHub says that this city in Westchester is one of the safest places to live in the country. LoHud reports that Yonkers ranked second, only behind Columbia, Maryland, in the website's study conducted of 182 cities. But is this accurate? What parameters did they use for their data?
According to WalletHub, they used three key dimensions; Home & Community Safety, Natural-Disaster Risk, and Financial Safety. WalletHub uses a unique method by taking those those dimensions using 41 relevant metrics, which are graded on a 0 to 100-point scale (with 100 being the safest).
So, when they talk about safety across the board, they could be referring to anything from terrorist attacks, to risk of tornadoes, unemployment rate, assaults per capita, and even the amount of homes that are underwater in that area.
So, with this methodology, Yonkers is sage. We think? Jill Gonzalez of WalletHub explains Yonkers high score:
There are a large number of active firefighters per capita, a large share of sheltered homeless and a low number of traffic and pedestrian fatalities per capita.
Mayor Mike Spano echoes those sentiments, saying the city's crime rate has dropped forty two percent over the past eight years.
- Hudson Valley Snow Closings & Delays
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie