Is New York the Best State For Women?
With March being Women’s History Month and women only holding 23.7% of the seats in Congress despite making up 51% of the U.S. population, the personal-finance website WalletHub today released its report on 2020’s Best & Worst States for Women.
In 2020, women in some parts of America still get the short end of the stick, even as they outnumber men in most states. For instance, women represent nearly two-thirds of all minimum-wage workers in the U.S.
In order to determine how women are faring and where they can find the best opportunities relative to where they live, the 50 states and the District of Columbia were compared across 24 key indicators of living standards for women.
The data set ranges from median earnings for female workers to women’s preventive health care to female homicide rate.
According to the data, New York was ranked as the 12th best state for women. Here's the breakdown.
Woman-Friendliness of New York:
- 49th – Median Earnings for Female Workers (Adjusted for Cost of Living)
- 23rd – Unemployment Rate for Women
- 35th – Share of Women in Poverty
- 19th – Share of Women-Owned Businesses
- 41st – High School Graduation Rate for Women
- 43rd – Share of Women Who Voted in 2016 Presidential Election
- 13th – Female Uninsured Rate
- 5th – Women’s Life Expectancy at Birth
- 4th – Quality of Women’s Hospitals
- 8th – Women’s Preventive Health Care
- Hudson Valley Snow Closings & Delays
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie