WATCH: Bear Breaks Into Catskill Home
Sometimes it's nice to get a little reminder. And this is definitely a reminder to put your garbage away in the summer.
You've seen the stories. The ones of bears showing up in a backyard or driveway in the Hudson Valley. We're not saying seeing a bear is uncommon in our neck of the woods. With that being said, it isn't every day that you see a bear breaking into a house.
The Department of Environmental Conservation shared a video from our neighbors in the Catskills of a bear hanging out on someone's porch.
The video, which was shared on the DEC Facebook page, shows the black bear entering through an opened window into an enclosed porch. The bear quickly finds some trash and takes it to go. Then lets themselves out through the window it came through.
The DEC is using the video as an example of how bears can sniff out a treasure. They say "Bears are opportunistic feeders and have an excellent sense of smell." The DEC says that people should only put their garbage out on collection day and add that "Bears that learn to get food from and around homes can become increasingly persistent, damaging property and creating dangerous situations for people and the bears."
For more details on bear safety visit the official website of the DEC.
Listen to the Boris & Robyn Show weekday mornings from 6AM to 10AM through your WPDH mobile app. Connect with WPDH on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- This Restaurant's Tipping Policy Left Me Speechless
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie