IN Touch – 9th Annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes
In Touch: Walk a Mile in Her Shoes. Whitney Humphey the Director of Development at Family Services joined us on In Touch to discuss Walk A Mile in Her Shoes an annual event that is coming up October 4th in the City of Poughkeepsie. It will actually be the event that kicks of the City of Poughkeepsie's FIRST FRIDAY event in October.
The Ninth Annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes will be held 5 PM to 8:30 PM at the intersection of Mill Street and Dongan Place in the City of Poughkeepsie. Hosted by Family Services this important walk is asking you to stand up against sexual assault, gender violence and domestic violence.
Originally this international event challenge men to walk a mile in high heel shoes. That is no longer a requirement and all people are encouraged to come out, walk and wear whatever shoes you choose. This is a family friendly event and EVERYONE is welcome to participate!
The information below appears directly from the Family Services Walk a Mile Page
There is progress: Rates of sexual assault and rape have fallen 63% in the past 25 years. Education, outreach and services are working! Be a part of this important change in our community.
Unfortunately, statistics are still shocking and unacceptable and survivors still need our support.
- 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually abused before they turn 18
- 1 in 6 women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime
- 1 in 2 transgender individuals are sexually abused or assaulted at some point in their lives.
- Every 9 seconds in the US, a women is beaten or assaulted
- 3 women per day are murdered by a spouse or former spouse
- 80% of all sexual assaults are perpetrated by a friend or an acquaintance
- While most men are not violent, over 90% of sexual violence perpetrators are male
If you or someone you know needs assistance call the 24 hour hotline 845-452-7272
The show can be listened to in it's entirety with the link below.
In Touch airs weekly on Townsquare Media of Poughkeepsie radio stations on Sunday morning between 5 AM and 6 AM. If you are part of an organization in the Hudson Valley helping to make a difference in our community and you would like to find out more about being a guest on In Touch please contact us at 845 - 471 - 1500 ext. 1022 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome all organization to contact us for information about this show.