Is New York the Best State to Drive In?
When compared to the rest of the country, do you feel that New York is the best state to drive in?
With U.S. traffic congestion costing U.S. drivers $87 billion in 2018 and the U.S. ranked 17th in the world in road quality, Wallethub has compiled the list of the best and worst states to drive in.
Everyone hates being stuck in traffic. It makes you late and causes many people’s tempers to flare up. The U.S. also has three out of the world’s 25 worst cities for traffic, and 18 of the worst 25 in North America.
Congestion isn’t the only concern on the road, though. People want to know that they will be driving on safe, well-maintained roads before heading out. The U.S. has a fairly good track record in these regards but certainly doesn’t top the list.
New York was ranked as the 19th best state to drive in. Here's the breakdown:
Driving in New York:
- 10th – Share of Rush-Hour Traffic Congestion
- 1st – Traffic Fatality Rate
- 4th – Car Theft Rate
- 3rd – Auto-Repair Shops per Capita
- 38th – Avg. Gas Prices
- 48th – Auto-Maintenance Costs
- 19th – Road Quality
- 5th – Car Dealerships per Capita
Listen to Smitty in the Afternoon weekdays from 2PM to 7PM through your WPDH mobile app. Connect with WPDH on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Hudson Valley Snow Closings & Delays
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie