Is it Really Illegal to Use Your Phone While Pumping Gas in NY?
We all know it is illegal to drive while you're distracted but what about pumping gas? Ever since I moved to New York I've had people tell me to get off of my cell phone when I'm pumping gas. I've been told several times that it's illegal?
Is it really against the law? Although I'm told they exist, I've barely seen any signs posted.
After scouring the internet, I can't find any law on the books that prohibits cell phone use at the pump. It is frowned upon, though. Why is that?
According to the NY Daily News, the fear is that cell phone batteries can explode. And if that happens while you're pumping gas, it can be devastating. Some experts say that the chances of that happening are very slim.
Are you better safe than sorry, or is this rule completely ridiculous?
Listen to the Boris & Robyn Show weekday mornings from 6AM to 10AM through your WPDH mobile app. Connect with WPDH on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- This Restaurant's Tipping Policy Left Me Speechless
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie