Hudson Valley Nurse Illegally Distributed Opioids
A Hudson Valley nurse confessed she illegally distributed opioids and more.
On Wednesday in Northern District of New York Court, 42-year-old Sarah Brown of Greene County pleaded guilty to conspiring to distribute controlled substances, health care fraud, aggravated identity theft and obstruction of justice.
As part of her guilty plea, Brown, a former registered nurse, admitted that between 2015 and 2017, she worked with a co-conspirator, Dr. Myra Mabry, to obtain prescriptions for oxycodone, morphine and hydromorphone, for no legitimate medical purpose, by impersonating Mabry’s patients at pharmacies, knowing that health care benefit programs would pay the cost of the drugs.
Brown also confessed she attempted to obstruct a federal investigation by testifying falsely before a federal grand jury that she was blackmailing Mabry into providing the prescriptions.
Brown also admitted Mabry agreed to pay Brown for the false testimony in the hope of minimizing Mabry’s criminal exposure and keeping her medical license.
Brown faces a mandatory 2-year term of imprisonment on the aggravated identity theft charge, and up to 20 years in prison on the remaining charges when sentenced.
Mabry pleaded guilty to her actions in August. She also faces 2 to 20 years in prison when sentenced.
According to a criminal complaint, between May 2015 and Jan. 2017, Mabry authorized about 51 prescriptions for the controlled substance oxycodone and a co-conspirator filled and picked up at pharmacies in Greene County.
- Cabin Built For Mars Can Be Found in the Hudson Valley
- Popular Restaurant Returns to Hudson Valley, Is Hiring
- Law Could Ban Drivers From Driving in Left Lane Without Passing
- Blood-Sucking Leech With 3 Jaws, Nearly 60 Teeth Found in NY
- Retired Cop Now Makes Award-Winning Cheesecakes in Hudson Valley
- Afghanistan Veteran Dies at 'Watery Eden' in the Hudson Valley
- Officer Shot During 7-Hour Standoff With Barricaded Man
- Plane Lands, Starts Sinking Into Hudson Valley Lake
- Damaging Tornado Touches Down in New York On Labor Day
- 22 Accused of Welfare Fraud in Hudson Valley