Hit-and-Run Suspect Unknowingly Turns Himself In
The man went to the police because of a custody dispute and ended up getting arrested.
On November 15, at 1:00 pm, 40-year-old Luis David Banegas-Cartagena of
Saugerties came to Saugerties Police Headquarters because of a custody dispute he was having with the mother of his children.
While reporting the incident to the officer, a detective recognized Banegas-Cartagena, as an individual that had been involved in a motor vehicle crash (Hit and Run) in the Town of Saugerties on September 21.
At the time Banegas-Cartagena, had been located by officers, however, Banegas-Cartagena, provided officers with a false name at the time of the investigation. It was later established by the investigating officer, the true identity of the operator was Banegas-Cartagena, and a warrant was obtained for Banegas-Cartagena arrest for false personation.
Cartagena was taken into custody at police headquarters, processed and then arraigned on the warrant in the Town of Saugerties Justice Court being released on his own recognizance.
Listen to Smitty in the Afternoon weekdays from 2PM to 7PM through your WPDH mobile app. Connect with WPDH on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Hudson Valley Snow Closings & Delays
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie