Governor Cuomo Wants To Add Millions of Oysters to NY Waterways
Governor Andrew Cuomo announced his Revive Mother Nature initiative that will reintroduce millions of oysters into the waterways of New York.
According to WENY the move is the most aggressive water and habitat restoration programs in the United States. Cuomo says he hopes to restore anywhere from 5 to 10 million oysters to the waters. The NY Daily News say the governor himself helped drop 275 pounds of shellfish into the Hudson Saturday in an effort to restore ecological balance.
The next step is now restoring the natural system that was there to clean the water. That in many ways is what we are talking about when it comes to the Hudson oysters.
An individual oysters can help filter 30 gallons of water daily, and can even help against flooding.
Cuomo says the effort will probably cost around 2.8 million dollars.
Listen to Middays With Hopkins on weekdays from 10AM to 2PM on 101.5 WPDH through your WPDH mobile app. Connect with WPDH on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie
<!--END VIDEO CODE