BEWARE! Social Security Scammers Could Target You
Looks like they're at it again. The latest scam involves some really personal information. This time it's your social security number.
ABCNY is reporting that the scammers are posing as the Social Security Administration will call and leave a message claiming they're canceling your account due to suspicious activity. Concerned callers will call the number back and speak with one of their "representatives". This is where the phishing scam comes to play as the they'll then ask for your nine digit social security number.
Of course, the real Social Security Administration wouldn't ever call and ask for your code number, nor suspend your account. However, ABC is reporting that the Federal Trade Commission says there have been 76,000 reports of social security scammers, with $19 million in losses.
If you have been a victim of this latest scam, call 1-800-772-1213 to file a report, or go to this website.
Listen to Middays With Hopkins on weekdays from 10AM to 2PM on 101.5 WPDH through your WPDH mobile app. Connect with WPDH on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie