Alienation of Affection. Is this the name of some lame romance novel? No, it's actually a real thing that can get you sued in six different states in the U.S.

So, what is it? And do we really need anymore reasons to sue each other in the litigation obsessed world we live in? According to WFMY News 2, is a common law tort, or a wrongful act. A spouse can sue a person who they claim damaged and broke up their marriage. Family law trial attorney Jessica Culver describes it:

So, if a third party has inserted themselves into your marriage in some way and destroyed the love and affection in your marriage, you have a remedy available..

New York is not one of the six states where this is legal. Could this, or should this, ever fly here in New York? You'd have to prove in court through solid evidence that this home wrecker actually broke up your marriage (though, according to WikiPedia, it does not require proof of extramarital sex).. Would you want to go through the trouble anyway?

According to WGRZ, North Carolina, Mississippi, South Dakota, New Mexico, Utah, Hawaii, (plus Puerto Rico), are the only places in U.S. where you can sue someone for cheating with your spouse.