Hudson Valley Volunteer Firefighter Killed in Route 9 Crash
A Hudson Valley volunteer firefighter was killed in a crash.
Police in Putnam County responded to reports of an overturned tractor-trailer crash in Garrison on Wednesday around 11 a.m.
According to police, a tractor-trailer collided with a car near Snake Hill Road on Route 9 in Garrison. Police confirmed one person died during the crash, but haven't released the identity of the victim.
On Wednesday around 8 p.m., Jennifer Mecurio confirmed her husband, Joseph Mercurio, died in the crash. Mercurio was 72.
"I am horrified to report that my dear husband, Joseph Mercurio, died today as a result of injuries sustained in an automobile accident," she wrote. "He was the love of my life and the beloved father of our daughter, Eleanor."
Mercurio was a volunteer firefighter with the Garrison Volunteer Fire Company.
The Garrison Volunteer Fire Company also announced former Allan Simmons passed away this week. According to the Garrison Volunteer Ambulance Corp, Simmons passed away after a short illness.
"Words are never enough in moments like these. Our hearts go out to the families of two past members that we lost this week, Allan Simmons and Joseph Mercurio.
We will always remember the times we spent together and their outstanding service to our community," the Garrison Volunteer Fire Company wrote on Facebook.
A wake will be held for Mercurio at the Clinton Funeral Home in Cold Spring on Monday. He will be buried on Tuesday.
- Hudson Valley Family Devastated After Pet Goats Go Missing
- 'Beloved' Lower Hudson Valley Restaurant Owner Suddenly Dies
- Suspicious Device Forces Hudson Valley School to Evacuate
- 9 Hudson Valley School Districts Among Best in New York
- Cash4Life Winning Ticket Sold in Hudson Valley
- Kelsey Grammer Opens Tavern in Catskills
- Man Makes Wrong Turn, Wins $1 Million at Hudson Valley Store