You Know You’re Getting Up There When…
You know you're getting up there when...
1. You remember your doctor making house calls, or at least stopping by your house on the way home from the office. Even if your house was 40 minutes out of the way.
2. You thought Pong was amazing. Maybe you were even addicted to it. I remember as a kid not wanting to stop playing Pong to eat Thanksgiving dinner.
3. You had to get up to manually change the TV channel. No remotes. Luckily, there were only about 13 channels.
4. You got to sit on your Dad’s lap while he was driving. And he let you steer. While he smoked a cigarette.
5. You were a kid and your dog roamed the neighborhood. And pooped wherever he wanted to. There were unleashed dogs all over when I was a kid. Everybody knew everybody else’s dog. It’s crazy now, but it was once the norm.
6. You walked to a bus stop. Your parents didn’t drive you or pick you up. You walked to, stood with, and walked home with the other kids.
7. You realize that you’re old enough to be a co-worker’s parent. Then you realize you’re actually too old to be that person’s parent. Double whammy.
8. You remember when Mr. Potato Head used a real potato. This is a very distant memory, but it’s true. Kids played with a real potato. How disgusting is that?
9. You find yourself saying “when I was a kid” or “in my day.” Kind of like this whole article. I guess I’m getting up there.