A man's desire to get rid of the bedbugs that had been infesting his apartment nearly cost him his life.

The Detroit Free Press says that the unidentified 30-year-old man sprayed rubbing alcohol on his couch and body early on January 3. The Detroit man unwisely lit a cigarette and attempted to incinerate one of the bugs, only to set the couch on fire.

Both the couch and his body caught fire. The fire then spread to the rest of his eighth-floor apartment. CBS Detroit reports that the man suffered severe burns and is recovering at a nearby hospital.

Firefighters were forced to evacuate the complex as the blaze spread to four other homes before it was extinguished.

Detroit is the most bedbug infested city in the United States. Residents of the complex said they have filed multiple complaints about the issue before.