Man Lucky to Be Alive After E-Cig Explodes in His Face
A Naples, Florida man is lucky to alive after a freak accident.
21 year-old Evan Spahlinger suffered burns to his face, neck, hands and lungs after an e-cigarette exploded in his face Monday morning. WBBH reports that Spahlinger went in for surgery Tuesday.
Spahlinger's sister was with him when she heard the explosion. She made the 911 call after finding her brother in another room, burned and gasping for air.
Spahlinger's mother said his sister found him completely covered in black soot, throwing up, foaming from the mouth. His mother voiced her concerns about the unknown risks of electronic cigarettes.
North Collier Fire Rescue is reportedly working alongside the state of Florida to determine if the lithium battery inside the device caused the explosion.