If you live in the Hudson Valley there's a good chance you have an E-ZPass.

The New York State Thruway and bridges are pretty unique to the Hudson Valley for one reason: most people use them to commute every day. Think about it, your average person outside of the region isn't crossing a bridge every day to get to work. While I love living in the Hudson Valley, the tolls are a real pain in the butt and wallet.

I recently just got an E-ZPass after years of commuting over the Mid-Hudson Bridge. While I was signing up for it, one of the questions I had was can I share my E-ZPass? I'm not looking to pay for tolls for everyone, but if I had to take another car, would I be able to use my E-ZPass in it when it's registered to my car?

After some investigating (read: a single Google search) I found the answer. Yes, you can. For some reason, the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority was the only place that had the answer in writing. The only thing to be sure of is that the vehicle you share your tag between is in the same class. So a sedan and SUV are of the same class, but a tractor-trailer is not in the same class as an SUV.

Happy commuting!