Woman Fatally Struck By Car Walking in Hudson Valley, 1 Injured
On his way home from work, an Ulster County Jail guard drove into two people killing one and leaving the other seriously injured.
Just after midnight on Sunday, 36-year-old Jaime Mengel of Slingerlands and Alexander Terwilligar, 26, of Ulster County were hit by a car while walking on Ulster Avenue in the Town of Ulster, police say.
Mengel died from her injuries at a nearby hospital. Terwillegar suffered serious injuries but is expected to survive.
The driver of the car, a 38-year-old man from Saugerties, a guard at the Ulster County Jail, hit the pair while driving home from work. Following an investigation, Ulster Police Chief Kyle Berardi told the Times Union no charges will be filed.
The 38-year-old from Saugerties wasn't intoxicated and gave authorities a blood sample, police say.
Witnesses told authorities visibility was bad Sunday morning due to darkness and heavy fog in the area.
- Car Demolishes Popular Hudson Valley Deli & Pizzeria, 2 Injured
- Woman Fatally Struck By Car Walking in Hudson Valley, 1 Injured
- 1 Killed After Car Crashes Into Hudson Valley Business
- Tappan Zee Bridge Demolition Rescheduled, Traffic Nightmare Expected
- Hudson Valley Man Found Dead in Ditch
- Major Expansion Planned For Woodbury Commons