Pro Tips on Grilling With Beer This Weekend
Josh Hughes, the Brewmaster at Roscoe Beer Company in Roscoe, NY stopped by The Boris & Robyn Show with some quick and easy tips for grilling with beer. A cold beer always tastes better with some great barbecue. By following a few of Josh's simple recipes you can incorporate even more of that great beer taste into a few of your favorite grilled dishes.
TTAA Chili Recipe
· 1 Bottle of Roscoe NY trout Town Amber Ale
· Olive oil (amount: use as needed)
· 1 large red onion, diced
· 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
· 1lb portabella mushrooms chopped
· 2 stalks celery chopped
· 6 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 pound lean ground beef or venison for you hunters
· Half pound of Italian spiced sausage with casing removed
· 1/4 cup chili powder
· 2 tablespoon ground cumin
· 1 tablespoon dried oregano
· 1 tablespoon paprika
· Salt and pepper to taste
· One small can tomato paste
· One large can diced tomatoes
· One small can diced tomatoes
· One can black beans, drained and rinsed
· One can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
· One can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
· One can cooked corn
· One pound cheddar cheese
Add olive oil (substitute any cooking oil) to a large frying pan on medium to high heat. Add onion, pepper, mushroom, garlic, and celery to pan and sautee for 4-6 minutes. Remove and place in Crock pot, large stock pot, or dutch oven. Now add the beef and sausage to the pan with more oil and cook until just slightly browned. Break apart to leave varying sized chunks.
Pour entire meat mixture into the cooking pot of choice. Next stir in the spices (chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper) Add all remaining ingredients except the corn and cheese and bring to a simmer. Cook on low-med heat for at least 2 hours. Note: this dish cooks better at a lower temperature for a longer time. Try low heat for 3 hours if time is not critical. Prior to serving, top each bowl with some corn and shredded cheddar cheese.
TTAA Barbeque Sauce Recipe
· 3/4 cup Roscoe NY Trout Town Amber Ale
· 1 cup bottled chili sauce
· 3/4 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
· 2 tablespoons Honey mustard
· 2 tablespoons chili powder
· 2 teaspoons soy sauce
· 2 teaspoons garlic powder
· 2 teaspoons onion powder
· Juice of half a lemon
· 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke, preferably hickory
Note: Hot pepper sauce can be added to taste if a spicier sauce is desired.
Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and simmer until all ingredients thicken to the desired consistency. This can take between 10-20 minutes on a medium heat.
TTAA Burger Recipe
· ¼ cup Roscoe beer
· 1lb of Ground Beef or Ground Venison
· 4 cloves of garlic minced finely
· 1 small white onion chopped finely
· 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
· 2 teaspoons salt
· 1 teaspoon black pepper
· 2 teaspoons paprika (smoked if available
· Cayenne pepper to taste if you prefer spicy food
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, and form burgers to size. Preheat grill for about 10 minutes. Cook burgers over a medium-high heat until burgers are cooked to preference.
Note: this recipe goes great with a smoked gouda cheese melted over the burger. The burgers will stay moist with the beer so these burgers can be cooked more with out drying out.