New Email Scam Will Likely “Terrify” You, Police Say
Police in the Hudson Valley are warning the public about a new scam that will likely "terrify" you.
Kingston police say this new email scam "would terrify some people if it ever landed in their inbox."
The email scams vary but have the similar features:
- The subject line includes a password that you probably have used at some point.
- The sender says they have used that password to hack your computer, install malware and record video of you through your computer's webcam.
- The scammer adds they will share your adult-website habits and send video of you to your contacts unless you send them bitcoin.
Here's an example of a scam email that was sent to a Kingston resident last week, via the Kingston Police Department.
[password redacted] is one of your password and I will cut to the chase. You do not know anything about me whereas I know alot about you and you're most likely wondering why are you getting this mail, correct?
I placed malware on sex video clips (porno) & you know what, you accessed this adult web site to experience fun (know what I mean?). And when you got busy enjoying those videos, your web browser began working as a RDP (Remote Control Desktop) having a key logger which gave me accessibility to your system and your webcam access. Right after that, the software program obtained your complete contacts from fb, as well as email.
Exactly what did I do?
It's just your bad luck that I found your misdemeanor. Next, I invested in more time than I should have investigating into your data and created a split view videotape. 1st half displays the video you were viewing and other part displays the recording of your cam (its someone doing dirty things). Honestly, I am willing to delete everything about you and let you continue with your regular life. And I am about to present you a way out that may achieve it. The two choices are to either ignore this email (not recommended), or pay me 0.55 BTC. [about $4500]
What can you do?
Let’s examine those 2 options in depth. First Choice is to turn a deaf ear this mail. Let me tell you what is going to happen if you choose this path. I will send out your video to all of your contacts including family members, co-workers, and many others. It does not help you avoid the humiliation your self will face when relatives and buddies uncover your sordid videotape from me in their inbox. Wise Option is to make the payment of 0.55 BTC. We will call this my “confidentiality tip”. Lets see what happens if you opt this path. Your secret remains your secret. I will keep my mouth mum. Once you send the payment, You can freely move on with your daily life and family like none of this ever occurred. You'll make the transfer by Bitcoins
Required Amount: 0.55 BTC [about $4500]
BTC ADDRESS IS: [bitcoin address redacted]
Note: You have one day to make the payment. (I have a special pixel within this e-mail, and at this moment I know that you have read this email). If I don't get the Bitcoin, I definitely will send your sextape to all of your contacts including relatives, coworkers, etc. nonetheless, if I do get paid, I'll destroy the sextape immediately. If you want to have proof, reply with "yes!" and I will send out your video recording to your 6 contacts. It is a non-negotiable offer, thus kindly don't waste my time and yours by responding to this email.
- Police Search For Person Who Survived Mid-Hudson Bridge Jump
- Justin Bieber Spotted at Famous Hudson Valley Pizzeria
- Hudson Valley Woman Killed in Route 9W Crash
- 6-time World Pizza Champion Opens Restaurant in Hudson Valley
- New Email Scam Will Likely "Terrify" You, Police Say
- Police: Hudson Valley Man Tries to Avoid Deer, Crashes Into Pond
- 7 High-Risk Sex Offenders Move in Hudson Valley
- Man Allegedly Took Video of Woman Changing at Hudson Valley Mall
- Retired Police Lieutenant From Hudson Valley Raped 2 Relatives