Dutchess County Prison Inmate Assaults Officer
A prisoner in the local area will be sentenced for punching an officer in the face.
On Tuesday, Dutchess County District Attorney William Grady announced 39-year-old Vernon Mingo, an inmate at the Green Haven Correctional Facility, pleaded guilty on Oct. 3 to an undisclosed Class E Felony.
Mingo confessed he assaulted a correction officer at the Green Haven Correctional Facility on April 24, 2018. He is scheduled to be sentenced on Thursday, Oct. 31, before County Court Judge Peter Forman.
Mingo punched Officer Hayden in the face after being ordered to go back into his cell, prosecutors say.
Mingo is expected to receive a sentence of 2 to 4 years in state prison to run consecutively with his current sentence, officials say.
“Correctional officers have very difficult and dangerous jobs. After simply being told to lock in to his cell the inmate responded by punching Officer Hayden in the face causing injuries, not only endangering Officer Hayden but compromising the safety of the facility as a whole. This conduct cannot be tolerated," Dutchess County District Attorney William Grady said.
- Second Earthquake in Less Than Week Rocks Lower Hudson Valley
- Popular Hudson Valley Restaurant Holds Grand Reopening After Fire
- Hudson Valley Mother Sues Over Video of Cop's Encounter With Teen
- 3 Hudson Valley Children Found With Dangerous Contagious Disease
- Hudson Valley Teacher To Battle Best on Jeopardy!
- Hudson Valley Man To Reveal Secrets About Action Park
- 'Wetter-Than-Average' Winter Predicted For New York
- Earthquake Felt in Parts of Hudson Valley, Near Popular Mall
- Staff From Iconic Hudson Valley Restaurant To Open New Business