Many Outraged After Westchester Coach, Teacher Suddenly Suspended
Many are upset after a legendary lower Hudson Valley coach and teacher was removed from his positions without a reason.
Recently, New Rochelle Laura Feijoo announced Lou DiRienzo had been reassigned from his teaching and coaching responsibilities at New Rochelle High school but did not release more details. DiRienzo is in the Westchester Hall of Fame. He's coached the New Rochelle football team for almost 30 years leading the team to multiple state championships.
While Feijoo hasn't given a reason why DiRienzo was reassigned, supporters say it involved a student who was related to the coach who was impaired at school. Rather than contact the school, DiRienzo contacted the student's father and allowed the student to leave school rather than face discipline.
New Rochelle residents were shocked and upset with the coach being removed. Supporters say DiRienzo is a father-figure to hundreds of student-athletes and is a dedicated and strong leader. Among those who consider DiRienzo a father-figure is his former player and former NFL star Ray Rice.
"I mean, he's dad, he's my dad," Rice told ABC. "He's the dad that I never had."
Last week, students at New Rochelle High school walked out of class in protest of DiRienzo. New Rochelle teachers later held their own protest in support of their coach.
Feijoo has been on the job for only a few weeks. The New Rochelle Federation of United School Employees union called on Feijoo to resign, saying that her public communications defamed DiRienzo and deprived him of due process.
Over the weekend, without their coach on the sideline, New Rochelle won another football state playoff game.
- 29 Arrested Protesting Controversial Power Plant, Gov. Cuomo
- Dutchess County Man In Movie With Many Hollywood Stars
- 2 Young Adults From Orange County Killed in Crash
- Leaked Details Likely Means Many Changes For The Renegades
- AG: Poughkeepsie Pizzeria, Café, Barbershop Linked Drug Ring
- Hudson Valley Leaders Call Attention to Sex Trafficking Problems
- FBI Joins Search For Former Newburgh Teacher
- Changes Coming to Every Dunkin' in Hudson Valley