DA: Hudson Valley Tax Preparer Made False Tax Returns for Clients
A tax preparer is accused of making false tax returns for Hudson Valley residents without their knowledge.
On Thursday, Michael G. Magnaldi, 54, of Pelham, a paid tax preparer, and the owner of MGM Tax Solutions was arrested and charged with multiple felonies related to the filing of eight sets false tax returns for Orange County residents, officials say.
Felony complaints allege that in 2016, and 2017, Magnaldi created New York State Personal Income Tax Returns containing false information for a number of Orange County residents who were clients of his tax preparation business, officials say.
The false information, which is alleged to have been placed on the returns without the knowledge of the clients, made it appear that Magnaldi’s clients were entitled to greater tax refunds than they should have received.
As a result, $6,091 in refunds were improperly sent to these clients, according to the Orange County District Attorney's Office.
“No one likes to pay taxes, but those who go to professional tax preparers have the right to know that their tax returns are being prepared properly and without fraud,” Orange District Attorney David Hoovler said.
- Jeopardy! Causes Controversy in Hudson Valley Over Cuomo Bridge
- Once Again Confirmed Cases of Measles Skyrocket in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Bakery Goes Viral Over New Creation
- Firefighter With Hudson Valley Ties Killed in Afghanistan
- Hudson Valley Cop Hurt While Taking Knife Away From Student
- Police: Drunk Man Found in Hudson Valley With Kill List, Shotgun
- Hudson Valley Teen Disappears After Going to Local Bar
- Filming Will Close Congested Hudson Valley Road During Rush Hour