Your License May Soon Be Invalid To Board an Airplane in U.S.
The license that many New Yorkers currently have won't allow them to fly in the United States in the new future.
Starting Oct. 1, 2020, New York residents will need an enhanced driver’s license or a REAL ID compliant driver’s license if they want to use it to get on a domestic flight, enter certain federal buildings or enter military bases, the TSA announced on Tuesday.
According to the TSA, New York’s REAL ID driver’s licenses have a star in the upper right corner to indicate that it meets federal regulations that establish minimum security standards. The enhanced driver’s license has a U.S. flag on the bottom right of the license.
New York residents have the option to upgrade to a REAL ID if their license does not currently have the star or they can opt to keep their older standard driver’s license. However, a standard ID, without the star, will not be valid to board a flight or to access secure federal facilities, including military bases and some federal offices.
If you plan to travel after the deadline, the TSA recommends you upgrade from a standard driver’s license to a REAL ID or enhanced license before the deadline.
After Oct. 1, 2020, TSA officers who staff the ticket document checking station at airports will not allow travelers into the checkpoint without a REAL ID or enhanced license or another form of acceptable ID.
The enhanced IDs cost $30, in addition to the regular transaction fees, according to the TSA.
To get the REAL ID star, you need to visit your local New York Department of Motor Vehicles office in person and bring certain documents to prove U.S. citizenship and New York residency. For more information on required documents and how to obtain a new ID visit the New York Department of Motor Vehicles website.
- 6 Alleged Hudson Valley Child Predators Arrested During Big Sting
- DEC: Hudson Valley Woman Kept Dead Rotting Carcasses in Home
- Your License May Soon Be Invalid To Board an Airplane in U.S.
- Hudson Valley Man Featured in GQ Magazine
- Hudson Valley Cancer Charity Receives Nearly $50,000 Donation
- Over 50% of New Yorkers Live in Areas With Failing Air Quality
- Hudson Valley Diner Serves 'Delicious' Sri Lankan Food
- Gigantic Fish Caught in Hudson Valley
- Man Falls 45 Feet Hiking in Hudson Valley on Easter
- Police: Wanted Heroin Trafficker Found Hiding in Hudson Valley
- Eatery With '#1 Cheesesteak in The World' Coming to Hudson Valley
- Award-Winning Hudson Valley Restaurant Completes Major Expansion
- Deal Saves 950 Jobs in Hudson Valley, Will Create 150 More
- Hudson Valley Woman Accused Of Stealing Over $13,500 From Scouts
- People Are Moving Out of Hudson Valley At Alarming Rates
- The Hudson Valley is Home to the Best Pizza Place in 'Upstate NY'
- New 'Luxury' Movie Theater Opens in Hudson Valley
- You Can Help a Hudson Valley WWII Veteran Celebrate Turning 100