What Costs More: A Year in Prison or a Year at Marist?
These numbers are a bit startling. Just how expensive is it to go to school in the Hudson Valley?
It shouldn't be a surprise that things are more expensive in New York. In some parts of the state, the cost of living is highest in the country. Who would have thought that would apply for state prisons as well.
According to New York Upstate, New York spends more than any other state on its prisons and inmates. The annual budget is around $3,688,356,319 which costs the state an average of $69,355 per inmate.
Not only does incarceration costs the state money on housing prisoners serving their sentence but we also pay them a small wage to work.
It's kind of crazy to think that we spend more money on inmates than most people make in a year.
Should we be more conscious about sending people away for non-violent crimes?
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie