Hudson Valley Bus Company to Lay Off 160 Plus Employees
The layoffs are set for the end of June 2018.
According to the Times Herald-Record, more than 160 employees of the First Student Bus Company will be laid off at the end of June, according to papers filed with the state Labor Department.
First Student Bus Company filed a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification back on April 3 that stated that they were going to lay off 166 employees on June 29 and that the company’s Depot Street plant will be closing as well.
The reason for the layoffs according to the bus company is, "the loss of Pine Bush School District contract to Birnie Bus."
According to the Record, the Pine Bush school board approved a five-year contract with Arthur F. Mulligan/Birnie Bus Service back in March that will go into effect on July 1 and will save the school district around $500,000.
Teamsters Local 445 Vice President Lori Polesel told the Record, that the First Student company offered the laid-off employees work at other First Student locations in Kingston, Millbrook and Poughkeepsie.
No word on whether or not any of the soon to be laid off employees took new positions within the company.
- Idiot Crashes Car Attempting to 'Drift' on Route 44 in New Paltz
- We Tour 21 Abandoned Businesses on Route 9
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Top 6 Hudson Valley Restaurants Featured on Food Network
- Enormous Fish Live in Hidden Cave Under City of Poughkeepsie