Former Hudson Valley Police Chief Dies
The Hudson Valley is mourning the loss of a former police chief.
Henry "Joe" Strauss, 86, of Shandaken died Monday at the Margaretville Hospital. He was born in Queens and a veteran of the U. S. Airforce.
For three decades, Joe was a truck driver, as a member of the Teamsters Local 282 and drove for Domino Sugar, according to his obituary.
Strauss worked in law enforcement in the Hudson Valley for many years, serving as the police chief for the Town of Shandaken Police Department. He also served as a police commissioner for Shandaken from 1996-2018.
"The men and women of this agency extend our condolences to Chief Strauss' family in this time of loss," the Ulster County Sheriff's Office wrote on Facebook.
Strauss also enjoyed participating in dog shows, winning Best of Breed and Dual Championships, according to his obituary.
He's survived by his wife of 66 years, Theresa Ryan Strauss, their two children and seven grandchildren. He was buried on Friday, with military honors.
- NYDOH: Hudson Valley Resident Donated Blood With West Nile Virus
- 6-Time World Champion Opens Restaurant in Hudson Valley
- TV Director Used Spy Cam to Watch Teen Nanny in Bathroom
- Mom: Man Attempted to Lure Hudson Valley Children at Bus Stop
- Potentially Deadly West Nile Outbreak Hits Hudson Valley
- Have You Seen Any of These 7 Missing Hudson Valley Children?
- Acclaimed Show Starring A-Lister's Filmed in Hudson Valley
- National Guard Member Murdered by Ex, Hudson Valley Cop Shot
- Flights From Hudson Valley to Europe Drastically Reduced