Body Recovered From Hudson River Close to Where Swimmer Vanished
The body of a man was found floating in the Hudson River near the Mid-Hudson Bridge.
On Tuesday around noon, the Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office was notified of a possible body floating in the Hudson River near the Mid-Hudson Bridge.
Two Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office boats were dispatched and deputies located the body in the river, police say.
The body of an unidentified man was removed from the river by members of the Sheriff’s Office, City of Poughkeepsie police and Dutchess County Medical Examiner’s Office.
The investigation has been turned over to the City of Poughkeepsie Police Department and the Dutchess County Medical Examiner’s Office for further investigation, according to the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office.
Officials searched for six days for 49-year-old Paul Moschitta of Poughkeepsie who went missing last Tuesday after going swimming in the Hudson River, near the Mid-Hudson Bridge.
It's believed that Moschitta entered the water to help after at least one person began struggling with the current. However, the 49-year-old got pulled out by the current.
Five people were rescued last Tuesday and multiple people were taken to a hospital, officials say.
The search for the Poughkeepsie man was suspended Sunday evening, without Moschitta being found.
It's unclear, as of this writing, if the body of the man found is Moschitta. We will continue to update this story if more information is released.
- Police Search For Person Who Survived Mid-Hudson Bridge Jump
- Justin Bieber Spotted at Famous Hudson Valley Pizzeria
- Hudson Valley Woman Killed in Route 9W Crash
- 6-time World Pizza Champion Opens Restaurant in Hudson Valley
- New Email Scam Will Likely "Terrify" You, Police Say
- Police: Hudson Valley Man Tries to Avoid Deer, Crashes Into Pond
- 7 High-Risk Sex Offenders Move in Hudson Valley
- Man Allegedly Took Video of Woman Changing at Hudson Valley Mall
- Retired Police Lieutenant From Hudson Valley Raped 2 Relatives