Bannerman Castle Voted One of NY’s Most Intriguing Landmarks
It definitely turns heads and leaves people wondering what the heck this big structure is. If you live in the Hudson Valley you most likely know about Bannerman Island but do you really know about the castle?
Bannerman Island recently made New York Upstate's list of most intriguing landmarks.
Did you know that island was originally called Pollepel and that native Americans believed that the island was haunted? Dutch sailors made stories about a woman named Polly Pell who was rescued from the island by her sweetheart.
Francis Bannerman passed by the island while on a canoeing trip, purchased it and then built the elaborate Scottish castle. It held munitions and other supplies during the Spanish War.
You can get all of the details and see the history for yourself. Tours for Bannerman Island can be purchased here.
- Two Hollywood Actors Co-Own Hudson Valley Candy Shop
- Top 10 Hudson Valley Celebrities
- Study Claims New York Women Are the Meanest
- Hudson Valley Town Named One of America’s Coolest Small Towns
- Where Is Oniontown and Why Is It So Dangerous?
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America